Removal of Existing Tops
Existing countertops must be removed before installation can begin. We are glad to provide this service for you and include this in your project contract. If you elect to handle this yourself, the existing tops must be removed before our installers arrive with the new ones.
Q: What is included in the purchase of my countertop replacement?
The project contract and detailed proposal state your selections and the exact work to be performed. Keep in mind, we can provide complete project management or a minimum service depending on your preferences and budget. Therefore, be sure to read the entire project contract carefully. Only work that is specified on the contract is included. Anything not specified on the contract is not included.
Q: What happens after I have made the purchase of my countertop replacement?
will work with you to schedule making a template for your new countertop for use in production. Once we have templates, supplies and information, your project is released to our shop for production. Production of your countertops takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks depending on the material and complexity of the project. This is an estimate, not a guarantee. Once your countertops are completed, we will schedule the installation.
Q: What do I need to know to prepare for the template of my new countertop?
- We will contact you to schedule an appointment for our templater to come to your home. Our templater will be scheduled to arrive between 8 am and 4 pm on a weekday, excluding holidays.
- If cabinets are being replaced, they must be installed and level prior to templating.
- Someone with the responsibility for making decisions about the location of the sinks, faucet holes, etc., must be present while countertops are being templated.
- Remove all items sitting on top of the countertops that are being replaced prior to the template appointment.
- If at the time of templating you request any changes to your previous selections and original contract, we will contact you to verify changes. Please keep in mind, any changes may affect your final price and could delay production and installation.
Q: What do I need to know to prepare for the installation of my new countertop?
- Once fabrication is complete, we will contact you to schedule the installation, which normally occurs on a weekday between 8 am and 4 pm, excluding holidays.
- While every effort is made to complete installation the same day, you should be prepared to be without the full use of your kitchen overnight. Be prepared for all of your home’s water to be shut off during and after the countertop installation. The condition of the plumbing at your sink will dictate what has to happen.
- If you have not arranged for AHI
to remove your existing countertops and to disconnect your plumbing fixtures and appliances, this must be done before our installers arrive.
- Please remove all items on and beneath where the new countertops are to be installed before our installers arrive.
- During installation, a substantial number of trips will be made from an outside work area to the actual work area. It is necessary to plan a path that the installer can use. The path must be sufficient in size for carrying large pieces of countertop without having to maneuver around tight corners.
- The installation of your countertops may require the installer to trim the countertops at the job site to ensure best possible fit. These procedures are usually performed outside in a driveway. It is necessary that the homeowner provide such a place with ample coverage when the weather does not permit work outdoors.
- While most on-site fabrication is done outside the home, it may be necessary to do some in the actual work area. To minimize dust in other parts of your home, we highly recommend covering all registers in the room being remodeled and turning off your HVAC unit.
Q: If I plan to paint or wallpaper this area, when should this be done?
After AHI has completed your project install. Anytime a heavy and rigid countertop is installed, some wall scuffing will probably occur as the installer works to insure a good fit.
Q: Do fixtures and appliances need to be on-site at the time of installation?
Yes, it is important to have the sink and faucet fixtures and appliances at the time of installation.
Q: Could there possibly be any additional cost to me above and beyond the original project contract?
- Yes, if you request any changes or additions to the original project, proposal and contract.
- Yes, if any unforeseen issues arise, as in any remodel project. For example, plumbing pipes may need to be replaced due to poor condition or lowered for a new disposal. If these issues occur, we will notify you immediately. Any additional costs that may occur due to unforeseen items can be handled by the homeowner or contracted with AHI.
Q: Upon installation, is there anything else I should be aware of?
- Yes, anytime a heavy and rigid countertop is installed, some wall scuffing will occur. We do everything possible to minimize this, but please be aware that some touch-up will be needed at the responsibility of the homeowner.
- Dust will continue to settle for several days after your installer has cleaned up and left your home.
- Furthermore, this is a remodel of your home. Unforeseen problems are the norm, not the exception. We will not panic and neither should you, as we conduct over 1,000 countertop projects a year. You can trust us to complete the project to your liking and satisfaction!
Every customer has survived, and you will too! Although remodel projects take you out of your daily routine and can be stressful at times, you can trust that you are working with experienced professionals!